Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Full of "pep in my step"

Toby G.
I recently had the opportunity to meet 8 year Foley Vet Toby G. Toby and I had no problems getting the conversation going and ended up talking about all sorts of things like drivers licenses in Virginia verses Nebraska etc. Toby first came to camp by hearing about it from a friend of his. “My parents made sure we would be in the same cabin so it was an easy transition to camp.” It took no time at all for Toby to adjust to camp life and making tons of new friends. “I remember all sorts of things about that first summer, I even remember that Mike (Mogard) was my counselor.”

Back home Toby is on the Tennis team, although when he is at camp he rarely spends his time on the tennis court. “I like to try new things at Foley like horseback riding, archery, and wakeboarding that I would never get the chance to do while at home.” Foley has become his home away from home, and it now just feels natural that when summer time comes, you go to Camp Foley!

Toby, wakeboarding (Summer 2011).
This will be Toby’s last year as a camper and he has plans to go on the backpacking trip. “I’ve heard that it is something you should definitely try at least once while at Foley so this is my last chance!” And although this year will mark the end of his era at Foley, Toby is excitied to return to Foley hopefully as a counselor. “I really want to always have Foley in my summers, and I hope to see what camp is like on the other side of the table as a counselor.”

We talked a little more about how soon camp will be starting and his school year ending, and I asked him for a piece of advice that he can give to the new campers starting. “Stay calm, the 1st day is jumping around and hectic, don’t over think anything it’s all easy to get used to.” I cant wait to meet Toby this year as he attends 1st and 2nd session, and maybe even get the chance to go wakeboarding with him a few times!

- Adam Ashley, Assistant Director

No comments:

Post a Comment