Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thorwback Thursday: The McGuire Sisters



Summer 2012 with the McGuire Sisters

Megan, Molly and Emily McGuire from Des Moines, IA.
There always seems to be a McGuire at camp. In 2012 three of the many McGuires were the Des Moines McGuire sisters. And amazingly, those three girls all played a different role at camp in 2012. Molly McGuire, after spending many years as a camper, spent her first summer as a counselor for the Yakama girls, teaching Drama and Climbing. Megan McGuire finally reached her CIT summer, being a CIT for cabins Kildare and Ishtakaba over the course of her four weeks. Emily, the youngest McGuire from this family, was an LIT in cabin Hiawatha. We reached out to these girls to see what their favorite memories were from 2012, and what it’s like coming to camp with their sisters. 

Molly (right) with cousin Katie.
Molly: “The best part of being a counselor this summer was watching kids fall in love with Foley. This sounds super cheesy but it's a hundred percent true.”

“I can't imagine this summer without my sisters. Since I’ve been away at school this past year, it was amazing to get to spend a whole month with them. I loved hearing about all of their accomplishments, and I was too proud of the leadership role they took on this summer.”




Megan (left) with Alli.
Megan:My favorite CIT memory from last summer was the night I planned the evening program for Kildare. We had a scavenger hunt that ended at the top of the Marina for story time and snack. One person started the story with a sentence and then the next person continued it. It was so much fun hearing the outlandish ideas these boys had. After that night Ricky complimented me on my activity and it was the best feeling. Knowing that I had fulfilled the role of the people that I had always looked up to was one of the proudest moments of my life.”

“My favorite part about having my sisters at camp was that when I was little I never felt like I was away from home because my family was there. Over the years, I came to realize that Foley was a gift to my family because nothing brings us closer than sharing memories from last year and preparing for next year.”


Emily (right) with Max.
Emily: “My favorite memory was being Yellow Star and Blue Star with Max Palmer. For the rest of camp after that little kids would call us ‘Yellow star’ and ‘Blue Star.’ It was so fun to see everyone get so into the game and it challenged Max and I to be innovative and good leaders!”

My favorite part about having my sisters at camp is seeing all they accomplished, and them cheering me on as I try to get my Birchbark. I wanted to give up on some of the awards, but Molly and Megan were there to encourage me. They were so supportive of all I ever wanted to do!”


It’s always fun for us at Camp Foley to watch families, like the McGuires, grow through camp. If you and your siblings have any fun memories from past summers, please share them with us! You can post in the comments below, or email us at Fun@CampFoley.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment