Thursday, May 9, 2013

TBT: Katie McGuire Was Once Homesick!

Katie and Molly on staff in 2012.

If you know Katie McGuire (longtime camper and third-year counselor), you know how much she loves camp. Camp, Creighton Bluejays and Jerseys & Jordans -  that pretty much sums up Katie's passions. She loves camp so much, it's hard to believe that even she once struggled with homesickness! It happens to almost everyone, so don't feel bad if you get a little homesick. Here is Katie's Throwback Thursday story. And this summer, if you ever find yourself a little homesick, track down Katie and I'm sure she can help you out!

The first time I went to camp it was 3rd session 2004. I came with my cousins Shannon (11), Molly (10-like me), Megan (8), and Emily (7.) Shannon and Molly had come for a few years before, so I had heard all about Foley prior to my arrival. Many memories I have from my first few years are blurry or skewed, but I remember my first night like it was yesterday. 
My stomach had been in knots all day; I had never learned so many things or met so many people all at once in my whole life. I finally felt comfortable during campfire and enjoyed the energy everyone had. For the last song, just like we still close campfire, we sang taps. I didn't know the words, but I could go along with the hand motions. Listening to that song, in silence of the woods, I had never felt so at peace. 
Katie, Molly and cabin Micmac in 2004.
The quiet walk back helped me digest the day. Even though I had started to feel more comfortable, I was still apprehensive as we got ready for bed and did high-lows. Once flashlight time was over, it hit me that I was not going to be at home for two weeks, I had never spent even a quarter of that time away from my parents. I became homesick and cried until I fell asleep. 
The next morning, I told Molly how I was sad because I missed my family. She told me that I didn't need to be homesick because these people would become my family, and this place would become my home. Molly McGuire at the young age of ten was wise beyond her years (she was basically as wise then as she is now... she peaked early). 
Katie and Molly as CITs
in 2009.
And it turns out what Molly said was right. Because of her, and her wise words, I am about to start my 10th consecutive year at Foley. 
So if you are a parent or kid sitting at home wondering if it’s the right time to go to overnight camp, trusts me — it’s the right time. If you’re 8 or 16 or anywhere in between, sign up because you don’t want to miss any more chances to spend your summer in paradise. We promise we will never run out of room in the Foley Family; you can be part of it too!

Were you ever homesick at camp? How did you cope with it? Hopefully you had someone like Molly to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment